A chip hat, fashionable in the early 1800s and maybe beyond, is a bonnet or hat made of wood split into small slips, according to an 1898 encyclopedia http://bit.ly/1IWpZCp . Note that this ledger page shows 2 other chip hat purchases by James Barr. A local fashion trend?
Read more about Simon Truby’s life in Apollo, Simon’s family, and more in these blog posts, and in future blog posts:
- The Home in Your Mind
- Start with a Dot, Then Follow the Deeds
- Which Simon Truby? Avoid Mistaken Identities
- Apollo’s Thriving Farm & the U.S. Agricultural Census
- Copycat Brothers? The Matching Houses, Wives, & Lives of Simon & Capt Henry Truby
- See all the Truby Farmhouse blog posts at https://trubyfarmhouseapollopa.com/blog/